Oregon and Washington writers – Here are three upcoming opportunities to hone your writing skills for that submission process.
Last week I spent a memorable afternoon in the studios of MCM-TV.
Imagine my surprise when I opened an email to find an invitation for an interview with author Stephen W. Long, host of the “The Writing Life.” It had to be the quickest 30 minutes of my life!
Long ago and far away in a cornfield and soybean checkered state, I used to sit in my little kitchen with the green linoleum floor, munching on Cheerios (or Fruit loops, if my Dad was on duty). I remember a little notepad on the wall. It was bright orange (go, ’60’s!), and it had the little saying I used for my title today. Thank you, Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland.
Not great form for a writer, but it makes a point, doesn’t it?
I have gotten behind. Way behind. But that’s not going to stop me from moving forward.
As for an update:
- I did win the Genesis Award and the Cascade Award in 2017. Pretty thrilling, I must say!
- I worked on revamping my first book (still waiting on publishers to see if it takes wing).
- I’ve been researching for my fourth book (a lot!).
- As you can see from the “My Schedule” Page, I’ve been busy teaching workshops.
- Right now I’m in the throes of preparation for the Oregon Christian Writers Summer conference. I’m choosing music and preparing to pitch some children’s books.
- I’ve been editing for a friend, writing curriculum, and working on this website. I’m looking forward to the long days of writing when I finally push into the fray of writing my next book.
That’s just a bit of I’m-still-here-and-working news. There’s another HEART OF HISTORY Blog post around the corner. I can sense it. Stay tuned…and keep cool.
It’s been a terrific 2016 and 2017 for me as a historical novelist. All three books in my Civil War Series have placed in major contests. I was a finalist in both ACFW Genesis and First Impressions Contest in 2016. As if I wasn’t already encouraged by those achievements, I was positively stunned, humbled, and thrilled about 2017. Two of the three-book series are finalists for an OCW Cascade Award. In addition, two of the books are also finalists for the ACFW Genesis Award. Not sure what God has planned for these pre-published historical novels, but I’m definitely encouraged.
God is good – – – – Kendy
The Heart of a Warrior
On Christmas Day, 1862, from Fredericksburg, VA, Lee wrote the following:
“Oh, if our people would only recognize it (God’s protection) and cease from self-boasting and adulation, how strong would be my belief in the final success and happiness to our country! But what a cruel thing is war; to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world!” Read More